Where Your Money Goes
Mothers’ Union is a federation of organisations. We work in partnership to carry out our vision with local Mothers’ Union charities in the UK & Ireland as well as Mothers’ Union in over 80 countries worldwide.
We train and resource our members to support their communities. This could be through setting up projects in their local communities, campaigning or praying.
We are currently changing the way we fund our work. We are moving away from the traditional model of dependency established by ‘developed world giving’ to that of enabling national or regional level Mothers' Unions to develop their own financial self-sufficiency.
This means we will fund training that equips national Mothers’ Unions to manage the funding and training of their regions. In this way, the giving of mainly developed world donors will be used strategically and where it is needed most, enabling Mothers' Union to grow and flourish.
Mothers' Union provides funding for core programmes such as:
- Literacy & Financial Education Programme: operating in Burundi, Ethiopia, Malawi, South Sudan and Sudan, by the end of 2013 over 130,000 people will have become literate, many moving on to learn how to set up small businesses and savings groups.
- Parenting Programme: this operates in 18 countries worldwide, including the UK. It brings parents together to find solutions to the issues with which they are struggling.
- Loving for Life: our members across the world provide relationship support for couples. This could be help with marriage preparation or offering support to couples already married.
- Community Development Coordinators: 300 staff who support local Mothers’ Union groups in meeting the needs of their communities. This enables them to undertake activities ranging from running small-scale farming initiatives in Africa to setting up family support groups in prisons around the UK.
- Church & Community Mobilisation Process: in many areas Mothers' Union is starting to use Bible studies to initiate economic, social, spiritual and physical transformation for struggling communities. Members see that God has already provided for them, and has given them the skills they need to live - and live well. This process helps to unlock the potential of communities living in poverty.
Where national Mothers’ Unions are not yet able to become financially self-sufficient grants from central Mothers' Union will continue to help initiate programmes and projects that can transform communities.
Join our mailing list and keep up to date with our work which is transforming communities across the world.