125 years' helping families in Kent. Praying, enabling and campaigning is what we do! Mothers' Union members are encouraging care givers and parents in the support of marriage and stable family life. Our aims are to enhance the work of Mothers’ Union worldwide and to be actively working within our churches and communities.
Within the diocese we support teenage parents and young homeless people and have a heart for the plight of unaccompanied child refugees and asylum seekers. We are linked with four overseas dioceses in Africa and maintain communication with them throughout the year. There is a monthly prayer time with Mothers’ Union members in Canterbury Cathedral. There are community, family-oriented events raising funds for the project work of the charity. The Diocese will get funds from on-line shopping when our supporters use Easy Fundraising and Amazon Smile and direct donations with GoFundMe.
Our work includes:
- We commit to the Mothers' Union 'Away From It All' holiday scheme and offer outings to those whose lives have met with adversity. There is a biennial fully supported week away for families with primary age children
- Tiny items of clothing and bonding squares are knitted for use by the special care baby units of hospitals. Further, through the chaplaincy department we support bereaved parents
- We produce twiddle sleeves and fiddle aprons for those living with dementia
- We provide a ‘welcome box’ of kitchen basics for the Kent teenage mothers unit and offer parenting support
- Young people who have experienced homelessness are given a ‘home starter kit’
- Vulnerable adults homed in Copperfields, Ramsgate are offered help with necessities
- Women’s Refuge receives our regular collections of toiletries, toys and new clothes.
The Diocese of Canterbury Mothers’ Union welcomes all men and women to join us whether single or married. We include the choice to have individual membership or to join with a local branch for fellowship. Members attend the Spring and Autumn gatherings in Canterbury and receive a quarterly newsletter.