The Diocese of Derry & Raphoe Mothers’ Union works both in Northern Ireland and over the border in the Republic of Ireland. Our members are active in branches in both countries and support a number of projects.
We work in four main areas; overseas, diocesan projects, providing parenting facilitators, and supporting young families. Membership of the Mothers’ Union is open to all those who have been baptised in the name of the Holy Trinity and declare their support for the aims and objectives of Mothers’ Union. This can be as a Branch, Diocesan or Indoor Member.
- Our Overseas Representative maintains contact with our link dioceses and coordinates fundraising for the overseas projects
- We supply emergency toiletries to the four main hospitals in the joint dioceses
- Knitwear is made for newborn and premature babies
- Volunteers help in the Foyle Child Contact Centre
- Branch projects are varied and include emergency supplies to Women’s Aid centres
- Christmas boxes are collected for disadvantaged children overseas
- We have three trained facilitators and their role is to support and guide parents within a group
- The Young Families Coordinator organises events to support young couples in their married life. They also facilitate families to come together and enjoy activities organised by Mothers’ Union.
To get involved, contact our diocesan president or fill out the contact form on our website. To become a branch member enquire at your local church as to where the nearest Mothers’ Union branch might be. People wanting to become diocesan or indoor members should contact us.