Global Day and 16 Days of Activism 2023
Mothers’ Union’s Global Day of Action is our response to the 16 Days of Activism against Gender-Based Violence campaign. This year we are continuing to build on our No More 1 in 3 campaign, which is taking place on Saturday 25th November. This is when branches and members around the world hold events to show that Mothers’ Union believes domestic abuse is unacceptable.
Our No More 1 in 3 campaign highlights the fact that 1 in 3 women around the world will suffer from some form of violence throughout their lifetime. Mothers’ Union are raising awareness of and calling for an end to gender-based violence and abuse in all it’s forms.
In 2023, there are numerous ways to get involved and mark our Global Day:
Members throughout the world will gather, where possible, at 1.03pm on Saturday 25th November and hold a one minute’s silence praying for those affected by domestic abuse.
This year we are asking members to wear either a purple or a purple and white ribbon crossed over to symbolize your support of our No More 1 in 3 campaign. Hopefully your ribbon will spark conversations where you can talk about Mothers’ Union and our stance on domestic abuse. You can leave your ribbons in public places, such as on park benches or in churches and attach a label explaining our campaign. Please do take a photo of the ribbon and label and share it on social media with the following tags: #NoMore1in3, @MothersUnion #16DaysofActivism
To create the purple and white ribbon you'll need a thick white ribbon and a thinner purple ribbon. Cross them over and there will be three parts: two white and one purple, to represent the 1 in 3 women who will suffer from some form of abuse throughout her life. The ribbon would look like this.
There are lots of other ways in which you can get involved:
- If you can’t join in an event, why not join in fellowship with those from your own home?
- Attend services, prayer vigils and marches organised by MU members
- Hold a service in your church or cathedral
- Organise a prayer vigil or march
- Tie purple ribbons in prominent, public places and attached a No More 1 in 3 label to raise awareness. Take photos and share on social media with hashtags #NoMore1in3 @mothersunion #16DaysofActivism
- Make origami doves or crochet / knitted hearts. Make two white and one purple to represent 1 in 3. Put them in prominent public places, like churches, and put the No More 1 in 3 label next to it. Take photos and share on social media with the hashtags #NoMore1in3 @mothersunion #16DaysofActivism. The crochet and knitted hearts are available to download here
- Use the Silks performance in branch meetings or another groups meeting to highlight the affects of domestic abuse. You can download some information about the Silks performance here
You can find all the resources for 16 Days of Activism here
If you have been affected by domestic abuse or any form of violence, or are concerned for someone else who has, please contact the National Domestic Abuse Helpline: 0808 2000 247