Mothers’ Union was first established in the Diocese of Bristol in 1898.
Members support our diocesan projects either by volunteering or by raising funds and giving donations.
- Mothers' Union members started the Friends for Parents scheme at Bristol Children’s Hospital more than 30 years ago, providing a friendly face, supplies of tea and coffee and practical help for parents who arrive from all over the country.
- We are also the welcoming face for visitors to Ashfield Prison, providing a hot drink, biscuits and a listening ear.
- In the summer we send coaches with families to Weston-super-Mare for the day, under the Away From It All (AFIA) scheme.
- We have recently gone into partnership with Gympanzees helping to fund transport to pop ups to enable transport for all.
- Every Christmas we purchase over three thousand Christmas Story books from the Bible Society and distribute them in pre-school play groups, primary schools and children’s centres, reaching out to the families who have little knowledge of the real message of Christmas.
- We are in partnership with the Clewer Initiative, raising awareness across the Diocese of the plight of modern day slaves, those who are ‘Hidden in Plain Sight’. We also participated in the 16 Days highlighting Domestic Abuse.
- We currntly support Refugees and Asylum Seekers, as they try to establish themselves in our country.
- We value our link with Bristol Cathedral and the Mothers’ Union prayers are part of the 12.30 pm Eucharist in the Cathedral on the first Thursday of every month.
Anyone wishing to join Mothers' Union in the Diocese of Bristol can find a branch or join as a diocesan member. Branches are usually based at churches within deaneries. To obtain contact details for a particular branch please contact our president Jacky Fredrickson using the contact details on this page or visit the Contact Us page on our diocesan website.
If you are interested in joining MU but you are unable to attend a branch meeting then Diocesan Membership may be for you. Annual membership is the same as a branch member which is currently £30.00 for 2022. For further information please visit the Contact page on our diocesan website.